Recently it was discussed by our beloved blogmaster what the Mets WILL do this offseason…not necessarily what they SHOULD do or what the common folk Mets fan want them to do. Sign Matt Holliday-check. Sign Bengie Molina-agreed. Sign Jason Marquis-right on (heck, he may even pay them). However, I tend to differ at the platooning of Daniel Murphy at first base with unknown player to be named later. As much as Mets fans would love to have Adrian Gonzalez here in a trade, its just not reasonable. The Mets WILL sign Carlos Delgado to a a 1 yr deal and here’s why…
1. First and foremost, if the Mets weren’t interested in bringing back Delgado, why the heck would Omar Minaya go watch him in Puerto Rico to play winter ball? Puerto Rico is a real nice place…heck I married a Puerto Rican but Omar isn’t going there on vacation. He’s going to there to check Delgado’s health and if the guy can still play at 37 years old. Delgado, albeit in 26 games ,had 23 RBI’s, hit 4 HR’s and hit .298. Multiply that by 6 which would roughly be a full season and you got a pretty good year and about 160 RBI’s (which certainly wouldn’t happen…but you get the point). We know this guy can play in NY. He’s been here for 4 years hurt or not and been productive when in the lineup. The most inspiriring point is in 2008, his 3rd full season as a Met, he hit 38 HR’s and drove in 115 which by season start would be 2 seas0ns removed. Trust me, Delgado can still play and wants to play in NY.
2. Ike Davis is a year away. Clearly the Mets are brooding this guy to be their next “big thing” and as a Mets fan you sure hope they are not counting their chickens before they hatch. Ike Davis played great last season. Between hi-A ball (Pt. St. Lucie) and AA (Binghamton) the guy hit .298 20 71 in 114 games with an OBP of .381. Oh yeah did I mention he’s 6′5 195lbs and bats and throws lefty? Regardless 0f what people say, the Mets love lefty first basemen (i.e. John Olerud, Keith Hernandez, Ed Kranepool, Dave Magadan (ok, he threw righty but batted lefty as does Carlos Delgado), and my favorite Mo Vaughn…ok I digress but you get the point. The Mets want a big lefty first baseman which is why they are banking their future on one young Ike Davis.
3. A-rod and Chase Utley. Didn’t these two notorious Mets foes have hip surgery recently? Look at what they did. A-rod (hip surgery Spring 09) hit 30 HR’s and 100 RBI’s after missing nearly 6 weeks of the season…oh yeah and he won his first World Series…not to mention he his 34…a mere 3 years younger than Delgado. Then there’s Chase Utley (hip surgery Nov. 08), who helped his team notch its second straight pennant, and practically couldn’t make an out during the World Series on his way to hitting 5 HR’s. Hip surgery didn’t ruin their careers which is another reason why the Mets are targeting Delgado.
4. Delgado will sign a reasonable contract. If Carlos Delgado thought he had nothing to prove to major league ballclubs, he wouldn’t go and play in PR. Clearly, he knows his health is an issue. The guy had hip surgery so teams know he’s banged up. The guy had arthroscopic surgery to repair a tear and remove a bone spur which sounds pretty bad. I highly doubt he’s looking to get the $12 million paycheck he got from the Mets in 2009. I expect with his loss of service factored from last season that he will sign for $5 million and a mutual team option for 2010.
5. Daniel Murphy sucks and should not be an everyday starting first baseman (let alone an everyday player on a NY team). Need I really say much more than that? I don’t understand the Mets organization fascination (or the fans) with Murphy but when he pans out to be the next Albert Pujols and not the next Eli Marrero then you can tell me I was wrong.